Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Tribute to "Meme"



This is my "companion animal" Mimi.

Firstly, let me explain that I have what some people would call "strange" ideas about animals. Specifically, I don't believe that "humans" are "more evolved" or superior to "animals" in any meaningful way. Firstly, to paraphrase Steven Jay Gould I believe that Meme represents an ideal and brilliant evolutionary solution to the problem of being a hamster-- no less than I do for the problem of being human. But more importantly, I don't see how her small size or lack of "higher thinking" would lessen the size of her "peep hole" into experience. And to go even further, I strongly suspect that in some real meaningful ways most animals may be supperior to humans despite their inability to perform well on standard IQ tests. Adolf Hitler was a particulary "intelligent" man, but I've never known of a hamster to to do the things that he did....

Sadly, Mimi has hamster breast cancer, which is not uncommon or unexpected for a hamster of her years.... It has been interesting knowing her, because when we met her, she felt like the baby, and we like her parents. But in her brief years, she has taken on a a sort of wisdom and dignity that I as yet lack. And I believe that I have learned something about the meaning of gentleness, and of many other things, because I have known her.

And that's all I'm going to say about that.

5 comments:

Confusion Say said...

Sorry... this has nothing to do with the blog entry. But since it seems as though you answer your blog more than you do your email I will ask here. Paul's work wants a new website. We can do the design, but I'm not sure I will remember how to get it up and scripted. Do you want in. We can barter or share the bounty or pay by indian food and saracco. Also about your webpage design you said give you "specifics"...did you want me to elaborate on what it is about it I'd change or what I had in mind.

Confusion Say said...

I don't know if you have visited this site yet, but it has a lot of Blue Steel webpages to be enjoyed. It's looks like a good source for continuing your research.

http://www.operastuff.com/peoplebass.html

Confusion Say said...

Since you are wanting to stay away from a graphic intensive site, this seems like it would be a good one.
It's simple, looks like mostly HTML and has a good layout, organization of type and pictures. It is easy to navigate. It's not as pretty as the more graphic intensive sites, but it is one of the better visually looking HTML sites I have seen along with a more professional established look.

http://www.richardbernstein.com/

Anonymous said...

Did Meme pass on? Haven't heard from you guys in a bit....thought I'd check in and see how you are....did you check out my myspace...

http://www.myspace.com/tmkurzer

Let me know what you think....

~TMK (AKA...Chris; danelle says hi)

Michael Hoag said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
!-- Site Meter -->