Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Missing the Blogosphere

So basically I've been really busy.

My goal for the year is to double my rate of failure.

You see, last year, I had to turn down 6 roles due to fatal conflicts with my day job (which I also love.) When I did the math, I would have made about the same performing full time as a soloist as I did with my day job. Which puts me in the odd prediciment of contemplating quiting the day job I love....

The other odd thing is that I got almost everything that I auditioned for, and I got called back for everything I auditioned for. I take this to mean that I'm generally auditioning below my level. And, I'm just not auditioning enough.

This brings us to doubling my rate of failure. Firstly, if I'm failing more, it means that I'm auditioning more, and for the right things. I've also been limitting myself too much by refusing to audition for musical theater, touring shows, straight theater, and well-paying ensemble parts-- I think that I could learn something from all of these things.

Secondly, apart from the love of teaching, predictability keeps me in my day job (but hey I could always volunteer again....) But if I get to the point where I consistently would make double performing what I would make teaching, it wouldn't make sense to keep the day job.

And this is part of the reason that I've been so busy. I've been trying like mad to fail.






Missing the Blogosphere

As a last note, I have to point out that I miss my "friends" in the blogging world. It's strange that one can learn to really care about what happens in the lives of folks--some from far-away places-- known only from the pages of online journals. Best of luck to all of you!

No comments:

 
!-- Site Meter -->