Thursday, November 10, 2005

Excited

No words in my head this morning, only music. It's only November, and I've already got my head all stuffed full O' Christmas Cheer. This friends, is one of the hazards of the singer lifestyle. Today I'll be meeting with my quartet for our regular thursday rehearsal. We all decided to take the gig because it pays quite well for the minimal amount of work involved. Since we were all just "in it for the money," we were quite surprised to find that we kick butt. I'm curious to see how we sound today, now that everyone has had a chance to look over the music more....

We all just keep laughing nervously and saying "gee we should take this on the road" as sarcastically as we can muster. The thing is, most of us have done long-term professional chorus work before and we all left it to try for free-lance soloist life.... These days though, I must admit I look back longingly on the relative financial security of "A" house chorus work....

Brief musical thoughts for the morning:

Henryk Gorecki's 3rd Symphony.... I was listening some yesterday. This is a piece of music that always instantly reduces me to an emotional wreck, and leaves me, with it's last notes, feeling somehow new and whole again. I know of no other work that is so minimalist in emotional appeals and at the same time so emotionally potent....
For those of you who don't know it, it is a sort of requiem for the holocost. Some of the words are taken from cell walls of Nazi prison camps. With perhaps only Mahler's Kinder toten lieder as company, it is the simplest and most profound piece of music I know-- so completely lacking in Romantic emotionalism..... movement three is built for the most part on a two-chord repeating pattern without even the use of dynamic variation and only the simplest folk melody-- and there is a golden moment, the first time the two chord pattern breaks and we get a chord change (I-IV-V-IV-I progression for you music people.) For the first time the orchestra swells to just above a whisper... I ALWAYS sob here like a child... I can't even control it....

No comments:

 
!-- Site Meter -->