Tuesday, October 25, 2005

The Wicca of making a living

"So, what do you do?"

"Whatever the hell I want, what do you do?"


So my first problem is trying to explain exactly what it is that I do. When I say that I am a Factotum, I mean that I am....Hmm. Well here's what I don't do, I don't work for some boss that I hate, I don't beat myself over the head with some ridiculous work schedule, I don't dull my mind with the stupifying monotony of every "day job" I've ever had, and I don't make a lot of money. But I do manage to to feed clothe and house myself.

At one point, I was working for UPS full time and taking college classes, pretty common stuff for early twenties guy. Infact, I've had more than my fair share of miserable day jobs: I've been a secretary and Adminstrative assistant for several companies, worked on the trade floor of a major corporation, worked at carnivals, sold baby clothes, worked in fast food, worked for UPS, and on and on, and I'm not yet 30! But I just wanted to bust out, and become extraordinary, but I had no idea what that even meant. I felt like I was working to make money so that I could keep working so that I could make more money so that I could.... You see where this is going? I started looking at everyone I met, and started asking them questions, and it seemed that only 1 in 100 was happy with their work. Worse off, they were ALL willing to commit what they admit are horrible sins against their fellow man, because they feel so imprisoned by their daily grind that they have no other choice. Through grad school I started invisioning a new way of living. In a way, it was like the alcholics I've met in Flint who can't keep a real job so they get really creative about finding money for their coors light and Marajuana. I'm like that, only smarter, clearer and soberer. Well, usually soberer. I began to imagine that if I didn't keep a day job, I'd get pretty creative about how I paid my rent really fast. But more importantly, I would be an activist. If only I could show people how to be happy with their lives without accepting the same old economic slavery their parents lived in. What if we could all find something to make of our time than money? we really could make a better world.

So, cut to three years later, when will I ever get my dream? I've been scrambling around trying to pay my rent, never sure where my next job is coming from, always with too much work to even know where to begin, and then it struck me-- hey, I MADE this miserable, beautiful existance. My dreams have come true!

Over the last couple of years I have, and continue to make a living as a: professional singer and actor, teaching college classes, designing and teaching classes on musical creativity, giving private voice lessons, mystery shopping and more. What will I be doing come January? I have no idea, but I will find something.


This is a Journal about finding meaning in work. It is a Journal about people getting exactly what they want, and then not wanting it anymore. It's a Journal about throwing away the security of the 9-5 grind, and making work come to you. This is a blog for anyone who wants desperately to be something more than what they see everyone else doing.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Drive by Commenter said...

It seems that the most innovative ideas are coming from spammers nowadays. What now? Ads in the comments sections of blogs.

Cathy said...

Eleven years ago I started on the same path you are now on. I got laid off from a corporation, and decided to take charge of my life and my career. It has been a wild ride, but I do not regret a moment of it!

Good luck on your adventure--I hope it works out as well for you as it has for me.

Cathy Stucker, The IdeaLady
http://www.Idealady.com/

Michael Hoag said...

Cathy,

Thanks for posting.

In a way, I think that WE are changing the world in the most important way possible...

Wheather or not we achieve "everything we want" we allow other people to be bold, and to chose to make more of their lives than just money.

In fact, it could be that if we fail, but we remain true and find beauty in this world, that we accomplish even more this other goal of changing the world.

I plan on posting more about how I think this sort of a personal philosophy will be the next big revolution... but just imagine a world where money is not automatically the most important consideration....

I've looked at your webpage, but I would love to hear more about your story....

Michael Hoag said...

And then I looked...
For anyone interested in Kathy, She has a blog in addition to her webpage above. Go to:


brightideas.blogspot.com

 
!-- Site Meter -->