Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Ambition:

"Because the creator of the universe of the universe just dumped us out here in the middle of fricken nowhere, and nobody has any idea what we're supposed to be doing."

So, if you're out there God, now would be a good time for boomy god voice, or burning bush, or something. You gotta teach someone how to pilot this rusty ol' hunk of rock....






So in our little corner of the Blogosphere, folks have been talking about ambition. And it's such an interesting subject to me, that recently I've written about 60-70,000 words on the subjet. And to me, what ambition, REAL ambition is about, is trying to find some way to give life meaning.

Because, frankly, if this is just a pleasure cruise, I want my money back.

But the problem is most people can't see how life can mean anything without buying into a whole lot of nonsense that noone can possibly prove. I guess you've just gotta pick something or other to beliee in and stick with it.

For example, GOD can give your life meaning. Its easy, you just join his club, and then you try to get more people to join the club under you, and if you get enough people to sign in this life, you get a Brand New Mercedes M-class when you die. So life HERE has meaning becuase you can get level up points for the next world. Cool!

The problem is, firstly, no one actually knows what the parking is like in heaven, or how good the public transportaion is, or how the Mercedes handles on milk and honey. And secondly, if some dope tells you that killing 1000 Arabs gets a lifetime of free oil changes, you can't prove him wrong.

And there are all different kinds of road maps that people use to find meaning, not just religion and as far as I can tell, they're just all the blind leading the blind. Here are some examples:

There's the famous, "keeping up with the Joneses:" OR: I don't know what the fuck I want, but if I'm doing better than that guy down there, I must be doing ok. The problem is the guy down there is looking at the guy down the street from him, he he doesn't know what the fuck to do either.

And there's the similar: "My dick is bigger than average" roadmap. People feel ok so long as they know that %50 or so of the people are a little more fucked than they are: "Got a car, a dog, a house and a family. Hey, I'm living the american dream."

The "whose your daddy." Where people feel ok, so long as they beat there parents. Whatever that means.

But if "winning" the game doesn't make you feel like your life was meaningful, you can try to find meaning through conflict and pain. Win or lose, conflict makes life FEEL meaningful. So everyone's going around poking themselves in the eye-- if they learn to see again, "they've overcome the odds" and if they don't, then they have a damn good excuse for being miserable-- at least they've got a place that way.

My favorite is the "prodigal son" roadmap. People do their best to make their lives all shitty. IF they pull through, they become a kind of hero. If not their lives are filled with meaningful conflict for years to come! It's win/win, hooray!


then there are the ambition. It's just the same? What's the most ambitious thing you can think of? Becoming the first NObel prize/ Oscar winning/ best selling author/ President of the United States of America? Prove to me that that means anything.

What will the perfect Job, house, car get you? Happiness?

Then I have a short-cut for you. Quite a while back psychologists started studying the brain chemistry of happiness. They did a bunch of tests on a bunch of people and were able to establish the peramiters of human happiness. Then they did a test on this buddhist monk.

Holy shit! This guy must have brain damage! He's off the scale in every way-- they thought they'd found the happiest most content man in the world, and that it must have been a biological gift. But then they did some other Buddhist monks, and they found they all had the same kind of happy content brain damage!

And they don't own shit, have family or drive sweet cars.

And yet, I'm writing this novel... this meaningless novel... Why?

So what do you want, and what does it mean?




And as a final thought Touche to Scott on Complacency. In my book I call this the "belief paradox." Believing in the sort of things that can give life meaning always leads to people doing shitty things to other people. But not believing in that sort of thing makes people the weak willed tools of the people who do believe those things.

What are we to do?

11 comments:

Confusion Say said...

"The "whose your daddy." Where people feel ok, so long as they beat there parents. Whatever that means."

-This is so very true.

We should all go turkey bowling...that's what I say....mmmm turkey.

Skahfee said...

I like your statement "Prove to me that that means anything", but I take it further.

The whole "meaning of life" thing is something I've never understood. Why does there have to be some special meaning to it all? I know it's greatly tied into religion, of which I have none, but it seems simple to me. We're here, we have an average of about 70 years to do whatever makes us smile (maybe a lot more, maybe a lot less), and then we're gone.

I don't really buy into having a huge house or a yaht or a vapid supermodel wife making anyone happy. But if it does, and they didn't have to hurt anyone getting those things, more power to them! Does writing a book or playing the glockenspiel or walking the earth like Caine make you happy? Fantastic! Do you find meaning in ridding yourself of worldly belongings, or in winning the Nobel peace prize? Super!

In my humble opinion, there is no ultimate meaning behind any of these things. Material things you've obtained, history books that laude your name, trophies you've been awarded, they'll all rot, sooner or later.

Even the people you've helped, friends you've loved, fans who adore you... In the scheme of human history (not to mention the span of life itself, or since the creation of our planet), it's all more than meaningless. Like it never happened.

Does that devalue any of those things? Not to me, it doesn't. If you can find happiness, without causing too much pain*, and hopefully bring happiness to others-- all in whatever way pleases you-- isn't that enough?

(this of course is the step the complacent and the greedy both skip over)

Confusion Say said...

Exactly, it's all about the "Why". This is what I have come to terms with about my thoughts on ambition.

Why are you writing the book? Why do you meditate? Why do you want to contrast beauty with ugliness in your artwork? Why do you want to share it....with others? If the reasons for any of these are for "bad mental profit": To be famous, because it's cool and trendy and I'll look philosophical, to do something different and to be clever, to brag.

I'm sure that none of these are your reasons....but I try and keep my intensions pure. As in I do it cuz I like it. Not so much because I am ambitious. However, I am still in progress so I find myself slippping back every once in a while.

Michael Hoag said...

"NO one in this world ever gets what they want.

And that is beautiful.

Everybody dies frustrated and sad

And that is beautiful.

And I wish that they'd all stop saying 'deputy dog dog a ding dang deppa deppa'."


--John
They might be Giants

Then it seems to me that despite being without religion (as am I) that you have made a great "leap of faith," no?

The definition of "wisdom" is the answer to the question "how best to live?"

My point is that without making some leap of faith, there's no rubric for distinguishing one way to live from another. From my perspective, Thoreau was right, most do live lives of quiet desperation toiling in obscurity for some dream of happiness inside them, that will ultimately never make them happy.

THe only reason people think getting their dreams will make them happy is because (to them) the dreams are meaningful in some way. But ultimatly those dreams are no more than a mirrage, and when people reach the oaisis their stuck with sand in their mouths. Mostly, they continue to insist that the taste is delicious and thirst quenching, and they call over the next generation of thirsty travellers.

Scott, why bother to write or collect a wife or a house or a family? Why not just just collect holey socks? Why will those things make you happy? There is a leap of faith there, isn't there?

Skahfee said...

I don't think most ambitious urges are a leap of faith. I think it comes back to what you were saying about nurture over nature before (on ConFuSiOn's comments I think?). I'm not putting any faith in things making me happy. I simply have run across things that make me happy and I'm trying to keep it going or duplicate it. Push the button, get the cheese.

I collect a wife because I found happiness in hanging out with her. So it made me hang out with that person more. Then we started hanging out in exclusion of others, and eventually we decided to never stop hanging out (of course, we could write volumes on the basic animal urge to locate a suitable mate).

Or, conversely, I seek things that are the opposite of things that make me unhappy. It makes me unhappy when I don't have enough money to live comfortably, so I seek enough money to be comfortable. It makes me unhappy to share my living space with others, so I hope to some day have a house instead of an apartment.

Where the wires get crossed is that a lot of people think it's simpler than it is. X*0 = Happy*0 and X*1= Happy*1. So, x must = happy, right? An unlimited amount of X (Substitute money or fame or sex or power or whatever for X) must bring an unlimited amount of happy. Not that I have an unlimited amount of any of those things, but I'm skeptical that it would turn out that way.

Writing... writing is an interesting one. I don't know if you've experienced this, but I actually find the act of writing actually subtracts from my level of happy. I feel vulnerable, exposed, self-concious, depressed that the end product will be no good. It is the satisfaction of completing a writing project where I find happiness. So, why do I find satisfaction in it at all? It's all just words on paper, after all. Not even that, these days. Just a sequence of 1s and 0s stored magnetically in an electronic box.

Hmm, keep thinking of more to say on this topic, but this is getting long. Maybe we'll bore our respective other halves about it this weekend, yes?

Michael Hoag said...

Confusion, some questions are easy: why do I eat good food-- it tastes good- a biological response. Why meditate? It's scientifically proven to make people happier.

But other things turn me into a two year old, because there is no answer to the question "why:"
Why do I want a new ?
because a new car would be nice.
Why would it be nice.
well, I like the way it looks
Oh, ok. Well why do you want to own it?
Oh, well... because...
and on and on and on. Ultimately, I find that answering these questions relies un a sort of religion.

Michael Hoag said...

Scott, I often suspect that my ansers to certain questions: "why do I want a house." are really just self justifications. When I really look, I suspect that the reason I want things is becuase I've been taught that they essentially give life meaning.

Confusion Say said...

Really...Religion.

I think it's Ambition. War's, Violence, love, hate, greed... i think Religion is the smoke screen and ambition is the underlying reason. From our conversation before and even now it seems like you want to keep pointing the finger at religion. Whereas I see it as an excuse...not so much the cause. People's ambition is the cause and religion is the vehicle of choice.

And your answers for why you like to do things...as in meditate...because you think it will make you happy?

Well I think it would be more for the way it makes me feel...It's not so much the Why.....it's the end result I crave. As in Why do I do the things I do? Not because of what they will accomplish, but self satisfaction of my senses. What are my reasons, my intensions?.....I try not to have any.

Confusion Say said...

"I suspect that the reason I want things is becuase I've been taught that they essentially give life meaning."

This is why I asked...Do you think ambition is a learned or instinctual thing?

I have thought about this Meaning the Why...and if most people think deep down it is because of these reasons (religion=taught) (ambiton=taught perhaps a little nature too), they feel they need an outside reason to go on in the world to do or be something great,

BUT

To do things for the simple fact of the enjoyment of life in general is what I am refering to. I never said I have a religion...I don't need a religion...I'm not looking for a religion. And just because I got married in a church doesn't mean anything...perhaps it was pretty and it saved money on flowers and other decorations....and I like the way it felt inside? I may have taken a leap of faith as you say...but to me it wasn't all that hard to give up...it was a natural progression. You ask questions you get answers...you go with your gut.

Michael Hoag said...

IF you have no reason or intention for your actions then you are adrift-- subject only to the tides of life: by it's very definition you are without will.

I don't think that's true of you.

And doesn't this other thing: Living for feeling, Why not just become a Heroin addict? They say on Heroin you live life in utter awe of the beauty of everything and everything feels SO GOOD. You can cut yourself and its just beautiful breathtaking pleasure.

Why not?

Confusion Say said...

Ahrggg,

Okay your missing something here...*sigh*

#1 Everything you wrote in your new post is exactly what I have been saying this whole time...

#2 The difference between what I am saying and being adrift is ignorance.

I am not ignorant of ambition, goals, and risk. I am all of the above without being all of the above...catch my drift?

 
!-- Site Meter -->